Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hyde Park Bar & Grill (Dinner 10/22)


http://www.hydeparkbarandgrill.com/index.html



Tamari Ginger dressing. That's all there is to say. Order a side of it next time you go and dip your fries in it. It's to die for.

I got the Asian Chicken salad, as always. One of the best salads I've ever had at a restaurant (probably tied only with the Grilled Vegetable salad at California Pizza Kitchen). Dressing on the side and without the won tons (not for health reasons, I genuinely just don't like the flavor of them.). I can't pass up that dressing and the roasted peanuts and carrot and the sprouts. It also comes with pieces of mandarin orange sprinkled with sesame seeds. It's amazing. But let me tell you it was a hard choice. All their appetizers sound so good. (artichoke hearts, parmesan polenta!). I just need to go here a million more times (and I should probably start ordering something other than the Asian Chicken salad!). I almost ordered their ground turkey burger but figured I can make a ground turkey burger at home. I can't make that Tamari Ginger dressing at home. Although I've decided I'm going to try! My guess is to start with the following:

Ginger
Tamari
Peanut butter
Soy sauce
Green onions

I'll play around with it and see if I can get something similar.

The soup of the day was Honey Roasted Red Pepper Bisque - sounded like heaven. Unfortunately it wasn't. Amy guessed correctly that it had cayenne pepper and garlic. Something just wasn't right about the flavor. We didn't finish even half of it unfortunately.


Amy ordered the homestyle meatloaf with green chile mashed potatoes. I tried the potatoes, I didn't like the flavor of the green chile personally but she loved it!


And then... Amy and I were going to go eat gelato at a place next door called Dolce Vita BUT we saw that HPB&G had replaced their desserts. The new ones are Carrot Cake, a flourless chocolate cake with mint chocolate ganache and this:


Called Apple Custard Crumb Pie. And wow, it was heavenly. One of the most delicious desserts I've ever had and coming from me that means something. The crust was crunchy and delicious and flavorful. The filling was layers of apple with cinnamon and layers of custard. The streusal topping was sweet and caramelized and crisp. Only made better by a glaze of brown sugar and apple juice. Served warm (ice cream is an optional addition). It hit the spot exactly for the weather change, the craving for fall flavors. And although Dolce Vita's gelato is to die for, nothing could have beaten this.

http://www.hydeparkbarandgrill.com/index.html

I tried 4 of their 6 desserts (I definitely can't say that about any other restaurant!), once I went with girlfriends just for dessert and we each got one. Three of them were on their rotational menu (they change three of their desserts every season) the Peach Pudding is the only permanent dessert. This is what I thought:

Wom Kim's Peach Pudding
A rich cake made with peaches and buttermilk and served warm with fresh cream.

--> It's a lot more cake than "pudding". I'm actually not sure why the pudding word is there. It's essentially a cake with pieces of peach in it. Served warm, literally doused in heavy cream. Yes, it's as good and rich and unhealthy and sweet and delicious as it sounds. Thinking back... God it's good.

Banana Cream Pie
A buttery crust filled with fresh banana slices in a rich and creamy banana filling topped with banana caramel sauce.

--> I had never had Banana Cream Pie before and this one was really delicious. The crust is light and the filling is made with real bananas (shock!). For those more health conscious eaters (yes I know that if you're ordering dessert you should just throw health to the wind but I can't) it is a cream pie so it does come with tons of whipped cream all over it. It's really delicious though.

Key Lime Pie
Sweet and tangy key lime custard baked in a flaky pastry topped with lime chantilly.

--> I personally don't like very lemony/limey desserts so I only tried one bite of this one. The crust again was delicious and the filling tasted tangy and sweet, just as it should have.

Black Bottom Cake
A dark chocolate cup cake with a cream cheese & chocolate chip filling. Served with Irish cream spiked vanilla sauce and toasted pecans.

--> This was the only one that was a serious disappointment for me and my friends. The description makes it sound SO amazing and we were all ready to get our chocolate fix. The cake is essentially just a chocolate cake and as far as we could tell there was no "cream cheese & chocolate chip filling" to be found -- which sounded like the best part! The Irish cream spiked vanilla sauce was hardly present as were the toasted pecans! :(

No comments: