Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lots of cooking lately...

So what have I made lately?

Vegetable Soup -
I had a can of white beans and tomato sauce and some chicken broth.
So I bought some carrots and celery and onions!
So I sauteed the carrots, celery and onions, added the can tomato sauce and chicken broth and then added two sweet potatoes diced and the can of white beans!
It was so delicious.

Banana Oat Bread -
I had two bananas that were really ripe so I made a recipe from my Small Batch Baking book. But then I realized I had no baking soda so I changed the recipe somewhat. I added some cinnamon and allspice and oats. Added a whole egg instead of just a yolk. Used all whole wheat flour. Added a little low fat yogurt. It came out good (although a little heavy on the allspice!). I sprinkled some granola on top. It made 4 mini loaves. Gave 3 of them to Amy!

Baked Potato Soup (from Cooking Light)-
Amy was sick so it was a perfect excuse to make soup! I had never had baked potato soup before and I found this recipe on cooking light.com so I decided to try it!

3 cups 1% milk and 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 potatoes, baked
1/2 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup green onions
3 slices chopped bacon
Salt and pepper

It was SO delicious. VERY thick and creamy and ridiculously delicious!

Nick Malgieri class:
It was an interesting class. He made two appetizers and four desserts.

-Parmesan and paprika palmiers
-Caramelized onion and gorgonzola tart
-Pumpkin pecan pie with cinnamon whipped cream
-Chocolate tart
-Blackberry jam cake
-Whipped cream cake

They were all delicious, especially the blackberry jam cake. It was a dark, spicy cake. Really delicious. (I ate all the samples plus my mother's left overs. Yes they were delicious.)

Thanksgiving is coming up!!! My plans?

-Roasted vegetables
-Pecan spice coffee cake
-Hot chocolate molten cakes
-Apple pie
-Baked pears

I can't wait! I'll post pictures, recipes, etc.

No comments: