Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The best lunch

Torchy's Tacos. Oh my god.

I had the Democrat and the Green Chile Pulled Pork tacos. They were incredible.

I got them on a flour tortilla. The Democrat is shredded beef barbacoa with avocado, fresh cheese, onions and tomatillo sauce. It's amazing. The beef basically melts in your mouth, it is so flavorful. And a very sizable portion. You can tell that it's REAL meat, not some unknown mystery meat like other places serve.

The Green Chile taco I think was my favorite of the two. It was pulled pork seasoned wtih green chile served with fresh cheese and onions and tomatillo sauce. Wow.

For sure the main ingredient in the tacos is the meat. The onions and cheese aren't in exorbitant amounts. The only thing I didn't like was that both the meats were very salty. But they were extremely flavorful and the flour tortilla was so fresh tasting. It was amazing. I have to go back there to try their other tacos and I hear their queso is delicious.

After, I tried the Yogurt Spot, right across from Dirty Martin's on the drag. It was amazing. I had been to Yogo Berry before on Congress and Riverside but this place is SO much better. It's 39 cents an ounce. They have sixteen flavors (vanilla, pumpkin bread, mint, cappucino, berry, pistachio... the list goes on) and they have thirty toppings (everything from fresh fruits to nuts to sprinkles to crushed up candy bars) and they have sauces (chocolate, butterscotch, condensed milk). I decided to indulge and got the plain yogurt with a little fresh mango and strawberry, coconut, some toasted almonds, chocolate sauce and a few crushed up pieces of Twix. It was amazing. All the flavors are either fat free or 1% fat and some have no sugar added.

Everything is self serve and then you weigh it and pay. The flavors change periodically, when I went they didn't have chocolate but usually they do. According to the girl working there they're thinking of bringing in some holiday flavors, potentially peppermint or eggnog.

Here's a trick: the yogurt dispensers each have three levers. The one in the middle mixes the two flavors together! If you have no idea what I'm talking about go and you'll see. Try the cappucino and irish mint together! Amazing!

I'll definitely be going back to both places, hopefully soon.

No comments: