Monday, February 9, 2009

Smoothie yum-yum!

So I've been reading/hearing about how grapefruit and grapefruit juice when eaten/drunk before a meal can speed up your metabolism and aid in weight loss? I'm not sure if that's true, but hey, it can't hurt, right? And I love grapefruit already so I don't even have to go out of my way! Yesterday at the grocery store, to use in my smoothies, I bought Simply Grapefruit juice. Interestingly, it has 90 calories per serving and 19g of sugar versus the other shelf stable types which have about 130 calories and 29-32g of sugar per serving. Both claim to have 100% fruit juice so I'm not sure where that difference comes from...

Anyway, this morning I made a surprisingly delicious smoothie (I was scared the grapefruit juice would be very harsh and sour):

2/3 cup grapefruit juice
1/2 cup unsweetened soymilk
4 large frozen unsweetened strawberries
1/2 medium banana frozen
2 teaspoons vanilla whey protein powder

Blend it all in the blender, the longer you blend the more air it will incorporate and the greater it will be in volume. Gives the illusion of more juice and makes you fuller! Some books I have recommend that you blend for 10 minutes. I think that's a bit much, maybe if I walked away from it I could do it but I'd probably push the sound out of my head and forget about it! Today I blended it for about 3 minutes. It was already substantially thickened and greater in volume.

About 200 calories!

No comments: