Tuesday, February 3, 2009

34th Street Cafe

Saturday Amy and I went to lunch at 34th Street Cafe. If you've never been, what are you waiting for?! GO!

I had their salad of the day which had field greens, spinach, chicken, tomatoes, cheese, red onion, avocado... and a poblano ranch dressing. Served with freshly baked bread.

We also tried their tomato basil soup - it was the best I've ever had, much better than La Madeleine's.

Amy got the Reuben, I thought it was too strong on the Dijon mustard, I'm not a mustard fan though, she liked it. But New World Deli's is better.

I also finally tried Kyoto on Congress and 2nd. The Godzilla roll was my favorite but the longhorn was amazing too. Their nigiri was amazing. But their calamari was really bad, unfortunately.

One place we recently discovered on Lavaca and 4th is called Saba they have a happy hour Monday through Friday from 4-7. Most of their appetizers are $5 and their specialty drinks are half price. This is one place I will go to again and again and again. The food is incredible, from their calamari to ceviche to quesadillas to fried shrimp to mu shu pork to spinach artichoke dip... the list goes on. Not to mention their drinks, like the Rum Runner I had. Great food, great prices and a wonderful atmosphere. Awesome.

And last but not least, I finally tried my first oyster the other day. We went to McCormick and Shmicks for dinner (before deciding it was too crowded and going to Saba instead). While we were waiting around for a table, the man behind the oyster counter offered us an oyster for free. I was kind of nervous and creeped out but I took the oyster, with lemon squeezed on it and kind of sucked it into my mouth with the help of my teeth. And I bit into it. It was super salty and just kind of fresh like the sea. Not as slimey as I thought it'd be. It was good, not amazing, but surprisingly good. Maybe they'll grown on me. :) So exciting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alanah,

Make sure to try out 34th Street Cafe's sister restaurants, Blue Star Cafeteria and Santa Rita Tex-Mex Cantina. All great places to try. Chef Raif @ 34th Street also has an excellent Valentine's menu you should try!