Friday, February 6, 2009

Donut pizza chocolate -- a "bad" day

So before coming to work this morning Amy and I went to have breakfast. We were going to go to Kerbey Lane but I had heard about this place on Rio Grande and 29th called Texas French Bread so we decided to try it out. The breakfast menu online sounded yummy so we were excited.

Unfortunately, it was a big disappointment. They open at 7 am, we got there are 7:20 and their cook was running late so we couldn't order any of the plates we wanted (eggs with toast, etc.) instead I got a currant scone and Amy got a chocolate croissant. The scone looked a little dry so I drizzled some honey on it. I also got some tea.

First of all, the texture of the scone was delicious. Slightly crumbly but moist. But the batter itself was quite sweet and with the honey it was too much. Also, the service was terrible. The lady at the front seemed like this was the last thing in the world she wanted to be doing, like she had such more important things to do than to serve us. Plus, the atmosphere of the place was just kind of drab, not warm and inviting to make you want to sit there for hours and have a conversation, maybe that's the point. We might give it another try when we can get there and have breakfast off the menu instead of just a pastry.

At work on Fridays they always have breakfast which up until now I have easily been able to escape, but today I gave in to a donut. A cake donut with white frosting and coconut. It was... I don't know why I ate it. I'm not even that big of a donut fan, with all their sugar and white flour. And oh my god was it sugary. I have like a headache now from the sweet scone and the honey and the sugary donut.

Donuts just don't taste good, they just taste like fat and sugar. Gross.

For lunch we went to Home Slice on South Congress. Shared the Greek Salad and got a medium margherita pizza -- it was all absolutely delicious. Pretty thin crust, a little greasy, but the fresh mozzarella and basil were incredible. Yum! Definitely some of the best pizza I've had.

Clearly (ironically) I broke my 28 day breakthrough today. Like, pretty badly too. Tomorrow is a new day and as a fitness instructor once said very wisely, "When you're thinking of giving in, recommit!" And so I will.

No comments: