Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cooking Light, inspired!


So my new copy of Cooking Light has a section of simple dinner, using 5 ingredients or less. So Monday night Amy and I decided to make the almond stuffed chicken. And can I just say, it was absolutely divine. And literally took me maybe 10 minutes to prep.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (butterflied). Salt, pepper generously. Add a wedge of laughing cow light garlic and herb cheese and sliced almonds. Close it up, pop it in the oven. 350F for... 30 minutes? I added a little water in the baking dish to keep it super moist (and it did). Of course I missed one big step that my parents would both have killed me for doing -- I didn't sear before finishing cooking in the oven. I know, I know the caramelization adds such flavor and color but... I couldn't be bothered. :-/ So just think it could have been even better than it was, which is surprising! As a side I just boiled some haricots verts, added a little salt and balsamic vinegar and voila. Easy, nutritious and seriously seriously delicious!

I bought ingredients to make two other recipes from Cooking Light tomorrow: Goat cheese and corn quesadillas and Pot roast (I finally bought a slow cooker so I'm super excited to see how that turns out...). I also bought ingredients to make Tabbouleh so I may do that on Saturday!

Today I'm going to Lambert's for lunch with the girls from my work. I'm thinking I'm going to get the one meat plate with two sides -- brown sugar and coffee rubbed natural brisket, carrot and jicama slaw and collard greens. And plenty of bbq sauce, of course. Yum! I read that the fried green tomato salad is one of the best things on their menu and I really do love salads so it's really hard to pass up (especially since it has crab!) but I've been craving bbq for a while so I really feel like to review this place properly I need to eat their bbq. I'll go back and try the salad another day maybe!

No comments: