Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pot roast -- SUCCESS!

So here's how it all went down... I bought a slow cooker! I didn't grow up in a household that used things like slow cookers or rice cookers - my mother's a chef who grew up in a very traditional Brasilian household where everything was handmade from scratch and time to make things like gnocchi was in abundance.

Unfortunately, I no longer live in a world where I have that time, so I finally gave into my long time desire to own a slow cooker. And my first experiment? A pot roast! It was so exciting, I couldn't wait! I had read a couple of recipes but I really just threw into the pot what I had.

1 onion chopped
2 carrots chopped
4 cloves of garlic, whole
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 lb lean beef top round roast
about 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
scant 1/4 cup ketchup
scant 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Mustard powder... maybe a teaspoon or 2?
Plenty of salt
Dried parsley
A couple of shakes of salt-free all purpose seasoning


Throw all of that in the slow cooker pot and set on low! I switched it on around 9 am and switched it off at around 7 pm when I ate. At the last minute I added 2 zucchini, chopped.

And can I just say... it was amazing. I was scared it'd be too... salty? Not too salty enough? Not flavorful?

Firstly let me say that when I walked into my house it smelled... unbelievable. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I took the whole piece of meat out of the slow cooker and it just fell apart. I pulled it all apart into smaller pieces and returned it to the pot and mixed it in with the sauce and vegetables. It was so flavorful and moist. Not too sweet, which I was also worried about because of the barbecue sauce and ketchup.


I just couldn't believe how easy and delicious it was! And so many leftovers! (I'm sending some home with my sister tomorrow because my mother is salivating to try it!) Now I can't wait to try every other recipe from Cooking Light - there's a paprika braised chicken that looks amazing, and chili of course. And there's a recipe for over night oatmeal from The Eat Clean Diet Cookbook. I can't wait!

I went to Target today and FINALLY got my hands on the new copy of Eating Well, time to go read and sticky note all the recipes I must try.

Oh, and for Austin Restaurant Week Amy and I have decided to go to Siena on Sunday. I can't wait! I just don't know how I'll eat an appetizer, entree and dessert without feeling sick! I'll need to pace myself!

No comments: