Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Food

Austin is the most incredibly fabulous place if you like to try new restaurants. Explore new foods. It's so fun!

ARW (Austin Restaurant Week) is starting up again the last week of February and the first place on my list to try Parkside - I've heard so much about the food and ambiance. Apparently it has one of the best head chefs in the nation.

Other restaurants on the list to try:

Uchi
Aquarelle
FINO
Sagra
Roaring Fork
Justine's
Eastside Pies

...and many, many more.

Since the last time I posted, okay I know - forever ago - I've been to a number of fabulous places, most notably

Olivia's (South Lamar)
Uncorked Wine Bar (East 7th)
The Wine Bar (South Lamar)
Clive's (off Red River and Cesar Chavez)
La Mexicana (South 1st)

I recently heard with Primizie, which was only open for a short time on east 11th, recently closed. When I went there for dinner it was decent but quite underwhelming. There are many better Italian restaurants in Austin - Asti Trattoria and Enoteca Vespaio are two examples.

One place which I have been to a number of times am constantly disappointed with is Taverna - on the corner of 2nd Street and Lavaca. The last time I went there for lunch with co-workers everyone had an issue with their food. One order came wrong. One girl's risotto was so salty it was literally inedible. And my pizza had enough cheese on one slice to cover the entire pizza - it was disgusting! Last two times I went there for brunch my eggs benedict were small and boring and flavorless. The coffee was bad and the service was slow.

Once place that I'm always happy with (although it's quite overpriced) is Halcyon.

Dinner tomorrow with girlfriends at The Melting Pot.

Last night I made NY Strip Steak grilled just with salt served with salad - butter lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, blue cheese, hard boiled eggs. Simple and delicious!

No comments: