Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies -- the best?









Firstly, this clearly does not fall into my healthy eating, no white flour, no white sugar, get away from added sugar life style that I'm aiming for. BUT... my sister is pulling her hair out searching the house for cookies, so I offered to make her some. I figure she can take them back to Austin with her and maybe I'll take some in to work with me on Monday.

I found this recipe on a fellow food blog:
(makes 4 dozen):

1 cup butter - unsalted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour (I use Eagle Mills All Purpose Unbleached Flour with Ultragrain OR Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
2 1/2 cups oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
2 tblsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350F

Cream butter with sugars.





Add eggs and vanilla, milk.

Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, oats and chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonfuls on baking sheets (I use small ice cream scoops).



Bake for 10-13 minutes.

But are they the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I've ever had?...

The flavor is delicious, nothing beats a butter cookie. They're extremely sweet, which after straying away from regularly eating sugary foods I think they're too sweet (of course I could still eat the whole batch!). Something weird happened which also happened the last time I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies -- they deflated after coming out of the oven in a really weird way. The only theory that I can come up to for an explanation is either old baking soda or old baking powder. I'll have to play around with that. The flavor is still great though. Oatmeal chocolate chips, no matter from where, are the best cookie, hands down. YUM!

No comments: