Monday, December 15, 2008

Food update!

Yesterday Amy and I went to Shady Grove on Barton Springs.

Wow.

I had had a craving for fried chicken (something which NEVER happens to me). So she chose that restaurant for us to go to.

I got the Chicken Fried Chicken plate with the corn on the cob and side salad with thai peanut dressing! I got the gravy for the chicken and ended up not using it, instead I dumped my left over dressing (which I also got on the side) on my chicken. It was amazing amazing amazing. The chicken came out so hot, you could tell it was freshly fried. The corn was delicious. It was just the perfect amount of food, although I ate half the corn (the cob was split into two pieces).

Amy had the catfish with rice and twice baked potato.

In the past couple of days/weeks we've cooked so much. We made chicken parmesan which was literally to die for. We just lightly breaded the chicken in flour and then browned it and then put it in a pyrex and covered it in tomato sauce, cheese and red onions and baked it in the oven. Oh. My. God. All I can say is that for the first time in my life I actually craved chicken over chocolate.



We also made chicken with plums, sage and onions and balsamic vinegar. It was amazing. With couscous!

We've also been making hot chocolate - the on the stove kind! Milk, a little half and half makes it extremely creamy, cocoa powder, sometimes sugar sometimes chocolate syrup, cinnamon and chili powder!

We also made some delicious kidney beans with lots of garlic, onion and some brown sugar!

And this black bean, sweet potato soup with lots of cumin - a little too strong for my taste but it was good.

And tomorrow? My last lunch in Austin before going home for the Christmas break. We're going to Hyde Park and I get to have my Asian salad one more time!!

Oh, also, the other night we went to a place on Guadalupe and 29th? called Conan's Pizza. We had the thin crust vegetarian, it was delicious. With a whole wheat crust! It was really really good, surprisingly, and fresh made. After we went to Dolce Vita and I got chocolate with hazelnut gelato. Their gelato is so creamy and rich. Not too sweet, it's the best chocolate gelato I've ever tasted. Amy got the largest piece of chocolate cake I had ever seen (I had to help her with it, of course, and we still took some home!). I didn't like the cake very much, kind of boring with a strange mocha tasting buttercream?

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of restaurants.

Tonight we went to La Madeleine and I got the salad sampler. Some french onion soup, caesar salad and spinach salad. It was all good. The french onion soup was absolutely delicious. The salads were nothing special. I think it's too expensive for what it is, almost $9!

We also tried Trudy's a while back. We started with a chicken poblano soup which was really delicious. Apparently it was from South Congress Cafe it was the perfect start on a cold day. Then Amy and I shared the famous stuffed fried avocado. It was stuffed with chicken and sauce and then deep fried and topped with a green chile sauce, if I remember correctly. It's served with rice, beans and a little lettuce. We shared it and with the soup it was the perfect size for lunch. And then we shared their flan. It was quite small (the price was less than $3 so it was reasonable) but compared to my mom's, it was bad. Not smooth and creamy enough, not caramely enough, not milky enough, too eggy. Amy really did not like it.

No comments: